Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Hitting Top Pair, Medium kicker in BB . . .

$11 SNG. In the BB, you hit your top pair in an unraised pot w/medium kicker and bet on the flop. But you get raised. Was betting out correct? And what to do now that you are raised?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed) converter

SB (t1915)
Hero (t1170)
UTG (t1490)
MP (t1153)
CO (t1105)
Button (t1167)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t50, MP calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t200) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t100</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t300</font>, SB folds, Hero ???
Old 04-03-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Hitting Top Pair, Medium kicker in BB . . .

This is a great question, and I hope that some of the more successful people weigh in here. I often have the same question, because if you check it, your opponent almost always bets big and then what do you do?
Old 04-03-2005, 03:34 PM

fold. thats what you do. check fold. hmm, well, as for betting 100, i dont really like that. once raised, you have to fold. once called, you have to slow down. lots of questionable outcomes after that.. i would def check this flop though, and play it from there. 3uo
Old 04-03-2005, 03:57 PM

Interesting comments. I usually make a larger bet when I bet the flop w/top pair if I think there is a reasoanble chance that I'm ahead. But here I did not think there was much chance someone would have a drawing hand w/that flop, so I figured a half-pot-sized bet would do the trick. My instinct was to reraise or fold. What I ended up doing was calling, and going all-in on the turn when a 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] fell on the turn. I guess that was kind of a wimpy or foolish way to play it.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:16 PM

1/2 pot bets look weak. If you opponent is very aggressive and you were sure he would come over the top without a hand, then you can continue. If not, fold. IMO.

I don't think checking is bad either. It could turn out to a cheap showdown which you will probably win or you might save money when you have [edit: I mean he has] the best hand. Either way, I think to pot is most likely to be stolen from you if you bet 1/2 pot.

Also, check out this thread.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1/2 pot bets look weak. If you opponent is very aggressive and you were sure he would come over the top without a hand, then you can continue. If not, fold. IMO.

I don't think checking is bad either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the flop bet needs to be higher, if you make one. If you had AQ or a hand you wanted to committ yourself to, then bet 100 and push when he comes over the top. However, your hand is too marginal to subject yourself to a possible bully-raise.

As to checking, I think there is merit to this as well, for you are out of position. If you get a check, you know you probably have the best hand. If you get a big bet, it is easier to get away from than the situation you found yourself in.

In the situation you were in after the reraise, I would fold unless I had a read that I was being bullied, in which I would push. good luck.