Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Mr 2+2er, there is no way you can put me on this draw... so...

10/20 NL. I open-raise to $80 in middle position with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. One caller, a strong 2+2er who likes to see a lot of flops. He likes to check/call (often) and check/raise (sometimes) PFRers and often slowplays big pairs, so in short he could be holding anything and planning anything. We each have $2000.

Flop:

2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

He checks, I check.

Turn:

5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He bets $100, I raise to $400, he goes into the tank for a long time and calls.

River:

K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks, I pause for a while because of technical issues and bet $600, he agonizes for a long time, types incoherent things into the chat box, and finally calls with 66.

My take is that by misplaying the flop, I won myself a huge pot.

When I raise junk and miss, I autobet. But when I raise junk and hit a draw, especially against decent opponents, I tend to check and take my free card. Against one opponent who often check/calls, AND POSITION, I think that's a mistake. I should bet this flop. I don't fear a min-raise here; it would make me unhappy but it's OK. And a check-call is ideal.

Of course, by checking the flop and raising the turn, an unusual play for me, I put a seed of doubt into villain's mind and he called my river bet. (He must've thought that he had 6 outs on the turn and may've been ahead.) Obviously this way I make more when I hit, but I make a lot less every time I whiff.

Anyway. I don't raise suited crap enough to have a good line against good players with it.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Mr 2+2er, there is no way you can put me on this draw... so...

You raise with suited crap to improve your shania and win huge pots. Bet the flop you win a bigger pot most of the time, I think.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Mr 2+2er, there is no way you can put me on this draw... so...

i say check it unless you are planning on betting real big to drive people out. No matter what you bet you still have the flush draw haning around most likely and that takes away one of your outs, how would you have played with the 5S on the board. Check it, call or raise his probe bet on the turn no matter what hits then play for the money on the river. The flop would just be dead money and there would be no way the turn would be as big like it was.