Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 03:09 AM

Default Into the past for a look at the future

Edward Gibbon looks remarkably like porky pig [from a Portrait by George Rommey, 1781], or so it seems from the frontispiece portrait in Volume II of his monumental The History of The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire. But this minor observation is only a side issue.

After waiting delivery of my set of this highly praised work, I have started digging into it. The plot starts out with a bang and gets thick right away. Looks to be a real page turner. I wonder if he gets the girl in the end. Political content on the way. This is just a teaser.

-Zeno
Old 05-25-2005, 03:27 AM

Default Re: Into the past for a look at the future

[ QUOTE ]
Edward Gibbon looks remarkably like porky pig [from a Portrait by George Rommey, 1781], or so it seems from the frontispiece portrait in Volume II of his monumental The History of The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire. But this minor observation is only a side issue.

After waiting delivery of my set of this highly praised work, I have started digging into it. The plot starts out with a bang and gets thick right away. Looks to be a real page turner. I wonder if he gets the girl in the end. Political content on the way. This is just a teaser.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Would you advise that I get the abridged version now that you have met me?

~ Rick

PS Have you ever downloaded an e-book? For this piece of work it only costs two bucks a volume but the blurb at Amazon says most e-books aren't supposed to be printed. That would be OK if I had a giant monitor over my bed where I could read it before nodding off [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PS Have you ever downloaded an e-book? For this piece of work it only costs two bucks a volume but the blurb at Amazon says most e-books aren't supposed to be printed. That would be OK if I had a giant monitor over my bed where I could read it before nodding off

[/ QUOTE ]
I bought a Sony Clié a while ago (some old, cheap model but with a great screen) and I can without any problems read e-books, webpages and the like on it. The battery time isn't great (3.5 hours or so) but I'm very happy with it.

Edit:
Oh, and btw, a Sony Clié is a PDA [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
PS Have you ever downloaded an e-book? For this piece of work it only costs two bucks a volume but the blurb at Amazon says most e-books aren't supposed to be printed. That would be OK if I had a giant monitor over my bed where I could read it before nodding off

[/ QUOTE ]
I bought a Sony Clié a while ago (some old, cheap model but with a great screen) and I can without any problems read e-books, webpages and the like on it. The battery time isn't great (3.5 hours or so) but I'm very happy with it.

Edit:
Oh, and btw, a Sony Clié is a PDA [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

An ebook would work for me if in was very thin and light with a big screen, could be hooked into wall bracket above my bed and toilet, behind my porch chair, and over my lounge chair. It would also help if it could sense when I nodded off and turn itself off.

~ Rick
Old 05-25-2005, 11:34 PM

I don't do e-books. Not that it could not be a good idea. I would advise you to get the full volumes and not the abridged text, the writing is so well done its worth it. Here is a suggested place to get Gibbon's work, this is book club that I joined a number of years ago:

Book Club

-Zeno