Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 05-13-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Omaha sucks

I almost never play but the other night I sat in a 4-8 wi/half kill for scoop of $60+ pot. I did not voluntarily put money in in the 90 minutes before I got so bored I switched to he, except for a couple of completions in the small blind. It was a loose game, but I wasn't getting A-2 or A-3 much and without those, there's no hand that's worth playing. This is a fatal flaw in the game, IMHO.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Omaha sucks

A-2-x-x and A-3-x-x or not the only good holdings in O/8.
But I could be wrong.
Still learning,
PY
Old 05-13-2004, 02:40 PM

IMHO the best way to approach O/8 is to look for hands that will scoop pots. That means that there are many high hands without A2 or A3 that are very playable. Many think that any hand with 4 cards Ten or higher is playable. The reasoning is that if you hit the flop, you will scoop rather than split. With A2 or A3 it is very hard to hit a scoop hand.

On the other hand, many feel that O/8 is more boring than watching the corn grow. In higher limit games, you will play fewer hands than in HE, so bring Ray Zee's book or your portable CD player and learn to be very patient.

The beauty of O/8 is that if you are patient and wait for premium starting hands, you will make money. This is probably truer in O/8 than any other game.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I almost never play but the other night I sat in a 4-8 wi/half kill for scoop of $60+ pot. I did not voluntarily put money in in the 90 minutes before I got so bored I switched to he, except for a couple of completions in the small blind. It was a loose game, but I wasn't getting A-2 or A-3 much and without those, there's no hand that's worth playing. This is a fatal flaw in the game, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does suck. It's boring and hand selection is 90% of the game. That said, it's very profitable against bad players, more so than low-limit holdem or stud.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:50 PM

Low hands in O8 should be thought of as insurance. What you are really looking to do (as some already alluded to) is to scoop pots. Omaha 8 is very dependent on starting hand selection and if played properly, will be be very boring, as some again have already alluded to. For making money though, youd be hard pressed to find a softer game online.

Chris
Old 05-14-2004, 08:37 AM

In an extremely loose game you can loosen up your own starting requirements a bit. But you must still play tight from te flop onwards.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:48 AM

Default MY ADVICE....

Hey Bud,

Here is my advice for Omaha..

ALWAYS wait for the following hand..

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

THEN

RAISE with it..

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

OTHERWISE

Fold ALL...

Anywhoo, what the hell do I know.. I am just a mid limit stud player, who honestly, doesn't really ever wanna play Omaha. ( nor do I need too [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )

Later,

CJ
Old 05-16-2004, 05:50 AM

Default P.S. --

I was just kidding Carl.. ( but you knew that [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]... well about the 4 aces at least )

CJ
Old 05-16-2004, 08:19 AM

Limit Omaha 8 is pretty dull. So is PLO 8 IMO. But PLO...now that's a damn good game!
Old 05-16-2004, 08:36 AM

I actually enjoy O8 (low microlimits, that is), probably because I suck and have no patience to wait for A2 and A3 so I play damn near everything! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Of course I'm folding on the flop 90% of the time, so maybe I should tighten up a little. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]