Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Tells section from SSHE

I haven't been on these forums for too long, so I don't know if this topic has been brought up before.

The Tells section of SSHE really bothered me. The information in there is mostly wrong. I realize that most people on here hardly ever play live and this section is mostly useless to them. But people who are planning to play live should not reference this section of the book. It goes against any other advice I've seen from other pros on tells, and it goes against what I've seen from personal experience. The saying pros use is "Weak means strong, and strong means weak". This book is essentially saying "Weak means weak, and strong means strong". This isnt a variance in Small Stakes compared to Medium/High Stakes. If anything, the "weak means strong" saying applys more to Small Stakes since most players are amateurs and don't realize they're giving these off these tells.

The advice of "Attack weakness ferociously" is just plain wrong. While there are a few times weakness is genuine, it's mostly a cover for strength. It also implys that when your opponent puts in his bet in a more diliberate motion, that this is a sign of strength. Anyone who has even minor knowledge of poker tells knows this is really a sign of weakness. This is Poker Tells 101.

Anyone who's read Mike Caro's Book of Poker Tells would know how false this section is. I've never seen any other pros give this advice of "attack weakness" before. I actually can't believe this section made it to print. It has me wondering if any other sections in the book are completely wrong too.

Someone please let me know if this has been discussed before on here.