Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 03-19-2005, 08:25 AM

Default UK Gutshot under investigation form Police. And planning Live shows

Gutshot has just relauncehd its website also has an interview with one of the guys that runs the place looks like the police do think the club is illegal.

Also planning so me live events al la Live at the Bike.

Full Article

Much of his time there recently has been spent with lawyers and being questioned for hours under caution by the constabulary who are investigating the legality of the club. He told the members' Annual General Meeting that the plod and the Gaming Board considered that Gutshot was breaking the law. 'I must say that the police are being incredibly civilised about it all, ' he added. 'But that hasn't made them less adamant.'

Hearteningly, on the other hand, Gutshot's lawyers are of the opinion that there is nothing illegal about the playing of 'card games of equal opportunity', as long as all the money generated is returned to the members in cash or other benefits.

He revealed that, as part of their investigation, two plain-clothes officers secretly joined the Club. 'They had a great evening and wanted to come back.'

Typically feisty, Derek Kelly has challenged the authorities to go the whole hog and charge the club with transgressing the Gaming Act.. 'If necessary, we are prepared to go through four layers of British courts and ultimately to the European Court of Justice,' he told the meeting. 'That will take up to five years, in which time the club will stay open.'
Old 03-19-2005, 03:05 PM

Default Re: UK Gutshot under investigation form Police. And planning Live sho

Best of luck to them. They're certainly treading on the fringes of the law. Do you know if it is being run as a not-for-profit enterprise? If so I'd have thought they'd be fairly safe, legally speaking. Strange timing for an investigation, given new gaming bill and associated uncertainty.

Do you think the undercover plods got there play money on expenses? Perhaps Gutshot should put in a Freedom Of Information request...

Now, I must get down there sometime... how many 2+2ers frequent this establishment? Do they get many cash games going (I'm not a big tourney guy)?

I have to say their website looks much improved too.

RH
Old 03-19-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: UK Gutshot under investigation form Police. And planning Live shows

So is Gutshot a not for profit club?
Old 03-19-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: UK Gutshot under investigation form Police. And planning Live shows

Gutshot is cooperative for poker players, by poker players. It's a great place to play & the atmostphere is very friendly. Hopefully, it will not get closed by the coppers.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: UK Gutshot under investigation form Police. And planning Live sho

I went there when I was working in London, never met any 2+2ers there but there are the odd few that get down.

I think its the card games itself that cannot be run for profit, I would assume the bar and food is making the money, they must then use the rake from the tournies and cash games for staff wages and equipment (although it has been said elsewhere in the past that the rake is higher than the vic). My personal gut feeling is that the card room does make a profit but that if they reinvest in the club with the cash that is to the benefit of the members so can get round it that way.