Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 03-09-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Am I wrong, dude? Am I wrong?

$2/$/5 NL, players in question have about $500. I dont remember exactly, but this wasnt a huge pot anyways. Its 6 max. Table has been fairly loose/weak preflop.

I limp UTG with Ac5c. One more limper, SB completes.

Flop($20): 2d, 3c, 4c
SB bets $20, BB folds, I call, limper folds.
Is this a terrible mistake, a small one, or not a mistake at all?

Turn($60)2d, 3c, 4c) 2c
*note, i have the absolute nuts
SB checks. SB doesnt seems over aggro, but everyone is this game is known for chasing weak draws and simply choosing not to believe you at random times. Whats my action. I'd love to play ahuge pot, obviously. Is a pot building bet absolutely necessary here? How much? I figure if hes being tricky with a full house, I can get it all in on the river (these players arent good at folding hands like 2nd full). Plus, if he has a weak hand (straight, overpair, etc) he likely wont call a bet on the turn that he would call to see a showdown on the river.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: Am I wrong, dude? Am I wrong?

I would probably check behind acting as if I was afraid of the club.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Checking behind has its merits, but the river could be another club, killing your action if he has a small flush or straight. It could pair the board again killing your action or it might miss a draw he was willing to pay for. I say bet it. One idea is to bet small, as if you were afraid of the turn card. This MIGHT induce him to check raise you with whatever he has, allowing you to either raise there or on the river (I vote for raising there).

JKratzer
Old 03-09-2005, 12:53 PM

Location: Chicago, IL. Born, Raised, and in Chicago, I\'ll Die.

Call me a retard, but I think the best way for you to get paid off is by betting $75-$100 on the turn and look like you're trying to steal. Small bet is too suspicious and the game is weak. A big bet will get called or even re-raised all in enough while you hole the nuts on ugly boards like this to make it a good move.

Sometimes, the more tricky you try to be, the less tricky you come off and I think that this is one of those cases. Not to mention if he has A2, 34, 56, a lower flush, or the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], you could very well get called for the $75-$100.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:57 PM

You're a retard.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:59 PM

raise the flop, bet the pot on the turn. if he doesn't have enough hand to call the turn you are not winning a big pot anyways.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Call me a retard, but I think the best way for you to get paid off is by betting $75-$100 on the turn and look like you're trying to steal. Small bet is too suspicious and the game is weak. A big bet will get called or even re-raised all in enough while you hole the nuts on ugly boards like this to make it a good move.

Sometimes, the more tricky you try to be, the less tricky you come off and I think that this is one of those cases. Not to mention if he has A2, 34, 56, a lower flush, or the K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], you could very well get called for the $75-$100.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely right. Overbet and make it look like you are trying to steal. If you make a bet on the turn that looks like a steal he is likely to push over the top with 2 small clubs or a deuce, you are not getting paid off otherwise. Also consider a flop raise, make it look like you are playing an overpair and you will get paid off when the flush hits ...
Old 03-09-2005, 01:30 PM

Isn't the quote "Am I not wrong?"
Old 03-09-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise the flop, bet the pot on the turn. if he doesn't have enough hand to call the turn you are not winning a big pot anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true unless he has an overpair and fills up on the river (granted its a longshot).

Also, if he has any kind of hand there's a good chance he leads the river.

I don't think there's anything wrong with betting the turn but I don't think you're likely to get much out of him either way unless he has a FH.