Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 01-06-2005, 01:52 PM

Default AQ Hand

5-5 9 handed. Sorry details are a little fuzzy, but I think I got most of the important details right. I have $1600 and limp utg with AQ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3 or 4 other limpers and we end up seeing the flop 5 or 6 handed.

Flop comes:
A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Blinds check, I check, it’s checked to a decent player in lp who bets $40 ($900), it’s folded to the bb who calls, I raise to $200, everyone folds back to lp who calls, bb folds.

Turn is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
I check, lp bets $250, I raise to $600.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: AQ Hand

I really don't like it.

You're bloating the pot out of position with what may well not be the best hand. I can't see a point to the raise on the turn at all unfortunately.

If you think you have the best hand, check call and lead the river. If you are behind, call. If you think he has a club draw, check raise more (allin).
Old 01-06-2005, 04:40 PM

yeah I don't like it.....you're saying that a good player with position is leading the betting in a multiway pot and you're trying to play a big pot with one-pair-good-kicker?.....I check/call the flop, lead the turn.....
Old 01-06-2005, 05:36 PM

I like it.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:58 PM

If you get called are you checking the river or betting all in?

If youre checking the river its a bad play because you are going to allow the villain to take the pot away from you with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] unimproved.

If you are going all in you might as well push it on the turn.

Either way I would just check call the turn or weak lead (150) the turn and river (i would rather check call.)

I hate your line here however.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:42 PM

On the censes here seems to be that this a bad line to take, this BTW isn’t my usual line just thought I'd mix it up a bit here. Here are my thoughts on the hand. This flop is as a good as its going to get considering I didn't put in a bet pre flop. The flop texture doesn’t put me in a lot of trouble the only hands I'm behind here that can be played are A9, K9 or 99. When LP bet the flop I immediately put him on one of the following.
1.Flush draw.
2. Ax.

When I checked the flop my intend was to try and trap some money, and I accomplished that. The bb calling didn't really bother me I just put him on a king trying to improve on the turn. When LP called my raise I was more confidant that LP was playing the flush draw rather then an Ax.

I didn’t c/r the turn because it was a heart, I couldn't care less what came on the turn as long as it wasn't a club. So I sat there thinking this looks like it's going to be another boring hand, I'm going to bet something like $300 and take it down, then it hit me that there is a good chance that LP would bluff at this pot if I check to him for two reasons.

1. He may put me on the flush draw that was trying to take it down on the flop and is now trying to see a cheap river.

2. There's a small chance he actually does have Ax and put me on a flush draw on the flop.

My raise to $600 I think is pretty standard it's pretty much putting him all in. He ended up folding.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:56 PM

I never understand checkraises on consecutive streets - I wouldn't mind the checkraise on the turn if opponenet was closer to being committed, but the c/r on the flop was bad - Just lead out. What if a club draw checks behind - you've just given a free card. Plus top pair isn't strong enough to create a big pot.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:31 AM

You know at first I completely agreed with you leading out in the simple play, but what happens if I get raised by the same player in lp what's my play then. Call the flop raise and then what check fold the turn if he makes another bet? That’s why I think it's important you mix up how you play you top pair hands every know and then.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:34 AM

I think it's a much easier and less expensive decision than if he comes back over the top of your c/r.