Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

Old 11-01-2004, 11:47 PM

Default Building a Computer?

Alright, so I have these 2 20' LCD monitors in my cart at dell for about $1300. I now want to purchase a computer for a reasonable price that can run these two monitors + pokertracker with no slow down. The only problem is, I know nothing about computers.

From what I got from my last post on two monitor setups, I should get the 4600 or the 8400 with a graphics card that can run the two monitors at 1600 x 1200. Other than that, I really don't know how much stuff I need to get.

If any of you feels like helping, I'd really appreciate a very simple walkthrough of what I should do. I don't want the entire thing to cost much above $2000, but I do want to get it here ASAP as opposed to waiting another 3-4 months to get a deal that will save me $400 or $500 (I figure getting the computer here faster will result in my earning more than that).

So I implore anyone willing - please help me. I know it's a pain, and I'm sure you have much better things to be doing, but I'm pretty helpless otherwise. I don't want to assemble anything - I just want the monitors and the computer to come. I want to plug everything in, connect it to the internet, and start playing. So point me in the right direction - PM me if you need to. I really appreciate any help!

Ajax
Old 11-02-2004, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Building a Computer?

I'll help you. What are the video card options?
Old 11-02-2004, 02:12 AM

First of all, realize that even if you're ordering on the internet, you can ask all the questions you like at Dell for free. Just call their toll-free number.

If you want advice here -- like I mentioned in the other thread, either the 4600 or 8400 computer will be fine. The only thing to avoid is built-in video.

You want the 5200 or 5500 card to run dual monitors, or else you can upgrade and spend over $100 more but get a much faster video card if you get the 9800. Click their "help me choose" button by the video cards.

You will see that the 9800 card should have one DVI(digital, for LCD's) and one VGA connector(for CRT's or, with an adaptor, for LCD's like your Dell monitors). You should be good to go right out of the box because the Dell monitors as I recall have both DVI and VGA connectors. So you can plug one monitor into the video card via DVI connector and plug one monitor into the video card via the VGA connector -- bingo, you're done.

Difference with the 5200/5500 that's $100 cheaper? Well, that card is slower, but for connection purposes, having two VGA connectors means that both monitors will be connected without use of the DVI plug, making them look just a little less pristine, so they say. Others find it hard to notice.

I'm not sure, but the "help me choose" button will probably say for sure whether you need any cables or adapters.

The 4600 does not come with the highest end video cards, which come with 2 DVI adapters. Those cards are great and super powerful, and they will give you your clearest picture. You'll pay hundreds of dollars more, though. To use these cards on computers bought from Dell, I think you need a computer using PCI Express, like the 8400 or XPS. Unless you get a great deal, you'll pay a couple or a few hundred dollars more for the 8400, but could pay quite a bit more for the XPS, and that's not even including an upgraded video card.

So, you could get a perfectly good set-up with a 4600 computer with a dual-video card, choice of either the 5200/5500(they might have the 5700 now) or the 9800 for a hundred bucks or so more. Personally, I think a 4600 is fine, and it's a flip of the coin whether you want the 9800 or not. That's what I would buy unless money was no object.

Spend anywhere from 300 to $1000 more and you can get a 8400 or XPS. Add in another $300 or so to those prices and you can get a fantastic video card that will give you absolutely incredible visuals. Is it worth the extra money? For poker, absolutely not. For most anything else, no, not really. For bragging rights? Okay.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:19 AM

If you really want to make this process a lot easier, I'd highly recommend not dealing with Dell. They can handle the monitors; it's pretty hard to screw that up. But don't buy the rest of your system from them. You're entering a world of pain if you put too much faith in them.

Good luck.

-2kF
Old 11-02-2004, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For bragging rights? Okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want bragging rights wait a month and run two nVidia 6800s in SLI. That should be almost enough to run Doom 3 at max res at acceptable frame rates. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2004, 03:00 AM

LOL, yeah. SLI should come in handy if we have to use our BFG on poker players from another dimension who come in and start sucking out on our aces in 3d!
Old 11-02-2004, 03:23 AM

Just FYI...You don't necessarily need a cutting edge computer to run poker programs. I'm currently running PT, 2 party skins, streaming audio, and an IE window (on a dual montior system) and my computer is getting to be rather dated at this point (athlon 850, 640 ram, etc).

If you're going to be doing hardcore gaming then you'll need more horsepower, but poker and PT can run on a very basic system with no problems.

Peace,
J
Old 11-02-2004, 03:43 AM

it must take you like 10 billions years to load your note files
Old 11-02-2004, 03:45 AM

people are talking video cards and i think the ATI 9600 is the best bang for your buck.

Dual monitor support, reasonable price, and it can run all the cool games.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you really want to make this process a lot easier, I'd highly recommend not dealing with Dell. They can handle the monitors; it's pretty hard to screw that up. But don't buy the rest of your system from them. You're entering a world of pain if you put too much faith in them.

Good luck.

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you say this?

also, what brand do you reccomend?