Thread: 10/20 SB Hand 3
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: 10/20 SB Hand 3

Hi Tom,

as someone who sucks at poker, let me tell you what's worked for me when I'm posting above my bankroll. a lot of times when I post and I'm not sure, but I think I'm getitng the concept, my post will more resemble something along the lines of

"I think this is best, here are the reasons. is that sucky?"

and the replies will look something like

"yes I'd rather light money on fire"

or

"no that's basically the right concept, but notice the fact that the board is XYZ instead of ZGS makes it more correct"

then repeat until more answers resemble the latter. inquisitive answers are more on the tone of "learn me something" as opposed to "this is the way it is." a lot of posts in a lot of forums are of the "this is the way it is" style, and there are always arguments about whether it detracts from good discussion. but I digress.

kiddo explained it very well IMO in his coaching intro, when he says

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say a coach look at a hand that u didnt know how to play, you give him 2 good reasons to call and 2 good reasons to raise.

The coach: "You should raise this turn" and then give you 2 more good reasons to raise.

You think for a while and comes up with two more reasons not to raise.

He then comes back with a new answer: "Yep, you are right, there are as good reasons to raise as to call, it sure looks like a coinflip".

Now you can say: Well this is a bad coach, he gave me the wrong answer, I gave him the right answer and in the end there was no answer at all, I could do whatever in this hand, I dont need a coach to tell me that.

But what really happend is that you started with 4 conflicting arguments and ended up with 8 conflicting arguments. And that makes all the difference in the world if u want to become really good at poker. In the next hand you play maaybe you will get 5-3 instead of 2-2 in arguments.

[/ QUOTE ]

if your posts promote that style of discussion, then you could learn even more from the hand than that specific line for that specific situation against that specific opponent.

anyways, that's just how I roll. all this advice is worth what you paid for it

peace,
-Kevin