View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 10:46 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" ESPN Coverage of WSOP Main Event: 11/1

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i hate this lady

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeez. There's a lot of vitrol in this thread (and others). The personal attacks are unpleasant, to say the least; but it's a public forum so there isn't much in it for me to cry foul and ask people to refrain from that sort of behaviour. But I would note that I have already responded to certain of the criticisms of my play, particularly how long I took to make some decisions. See, my previous post, for example.

Without a doubt, when I got on the t.v. table, I made some pretty questionable plays. But, in my defense, when I got on the t.v. table, I was a bit nervous (#1, it was the t.v. table and #2, I instantly recognized a couple of the players there, who I knew would try to run me off the table and #3... well it was the t.v. table). So I tried to make a few moves to show that I wouldn't be pushed around and it completely backfired. Oh well. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] If I could also add, during most of tournament, I otherwise played a fairly tight and aggressive game and, save my time on the t.v. table and three key hands involving AQ, I rarely entered and stayed in a pot where I was behind in the hand unless my intention was to bluff. What has been written here notwithstanding [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img], but for the t.v. table disasters and A/Q hands (and near the end where I was shortstacked), I rarely got involved in pots where I did not have an edge. (The WSOP hasn't been televised here yet; so I'm not sure which of the many hands I was involved with have been selected for inclusion in the ESPN coverage.) For example, someone has written:

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiffany, thanks for coming on to defend yourself.

I think the vitriol comes mainly from your extreme delay of the play. You imply that this is something that you did only very infrequently, and indeed, as a percentage of the hands you played it was probably very small. Nevertheless, it doesn't take very many repititions to get very old, very fast. And from everything I read on Cardplayer and other sources at the time, it didn't sound like your delay of the play was simply a couple of isolated incidents, but an ongoing pattern.

The other players, you see, are there to play. Not playing sucks and is boring. Plus, because they need to accumulate chips, and they have to see some hands to do so, if you cause several long delays you accutually put your opponents at a disadvantage relative to the rest of the field.

If you took ten minutes to act six times, then your opponents have lost out on an hour of play versus the rest of the field. If you spaced these out so that it was a different set of players at your table each time, the effect on any one player wouldn't be too bad, but if not, the cumulative effect of your delays hurts your opponents. And in any case it marks you as an aggravating and annoying player to have at one's table. And from what I've read it sounds like you had both delays longer than 10 minutes, and more than, say, six delays.

Further aggravating people is that some of your delays were over pretty easy decisions. Admittedly, they may not have seemed easy to someone less experienced such as yourself, but surely after 2,3,4 minutes there was nothing left for you to figure out about the hand and at that point it was simply about making a decision. Taking another ten minutes just to make up your mind what to do seems rather extreme.

So there's the nutshell. Most of us here here think this kind of repeated delay is simply unjustifed even given your inexperience and some find it infuriating.

I'm not infuriated simply reading about it, but if I had been at your table during these incidents, I would have been seriously annoyed.

In any case, I hope your endeavor to study the game and improve goes well.

--Zetack