View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Are atheists better poker players than theists?

[ QUOTE ]

Phil Hellmuth once said he can "look into his opponent's eyes and see into his soul"

PH obviously believes in an immortal soul and presumably a God who created it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know adamant atheists who make comments like that all the time. I have no idea how PH uses it but these boys mean "I understand him below his conscious level, I can read him at an emotional level." No theist implications at all. Not unlike when an atheist physicist talks about "god does not play dice", or "reading the mind of god"..it's just using the popular expression.

Even if PH is refering to some part of a person existing beyond this realm, there is no reason to think he means it's immortal or that it was created by a god ( although he well might).

If your interpretation is "obvious" from his useage... I'll have to start watching what I'm saying, g-damn it.

On a sidenote, I find it interesting how deductive thinkers believe an exception to an inductive 'majority of' conclusion disproves the conclusion. When I was younger, it would amaze me, now I essentially expect it. It's seems you are mocking the argument perhaps partly tongue-in-cheek but that still requires believing that others think this 'could be' a valid counter to the claim.

luckyme,
if I thought I was wrong, I'd change my mind