View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 09:47 PM

Default The one thing about the Poker Business which is like no other business

I was walking in a remote part of Arizona. I had to go to the bathroom and stopped somewhere. The lady at the door who told me that there was a charge of 25 cents. I paid, did my business and upon walking out I saw the lady tell this one couple that is was 25 cents. They were furious that the lady told them that they had to pay 25 cents. She explained that there are no pipes to bring the water to the bathroom and they have to pay people to bring the water. The couple replied that this should be illegal because they never ever have had to pay for a bathroom in their life. After the scenerio passed all of us walked away, me... with a smile on my face with the other 2 looked like they were in pain while grabbing their crotches.

But Poker is totally different. Poker is the one type of business where the management can increase the cost of playing for absoultely no reason, yet the people still pay. If you play on Poker Plex or any of its skins it is possible to pay 3 pounds($6) for each hand playing heads up. But people sill pay. In fact i bet most people don't even know what the rake is. You'd think with all this competition for poker sites that the competition would drive rake prices down, but it is as is because people just don't care.

I used to work as a fin. advisor. It would be nice to say to you customer, oh instead of taking 2%, I'll go ahead and take 5% and have them say "Sure, go ahead"