View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: PLO8 starting hands and VPIP

[ QUOTE ]
PL as opposed to limit has a fairly significant effect on the hands that you can play.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're coming from a successful limit O8 background, then you hopefully are already able to identify good LO8 starting hands. All of these can be played in PLO8, along with a few more speculative holdings due to the implied odds from the pot-limit betting structure.

[ QUOTE ]
Low hands with no suited A's aren't worth much at all since the high hands make the money at this game, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yikes, I'm not sure where you heard that from. Low cards suited to the ace are excellent PLO8 starting hands. Except for rare exceptions, the huge pots in PLO8 usually occur when there's a low or low draw on the board. You'll drag your biggest pots when you 3/4 quarter another low, getting him to commit his stack when you have the low locked up and have decent high hand (or draw). High flops tend to kill the action. It's rare to find someone who is willing to commit their stack on a board of QJT2 raindow unless both players have at least an AK.

[ QUOTE ]
So even A234 rainbow is nowhere near as good a hand as it is in limit, since your only chance at high is a small straight or a possible lucky full house.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a good hand in either betting structure IMO. Of course, we wish it was suited, but it's still strong if it's rainbow. In limit, the strength of the hand is making a non-conterfeitable low. In PL, the strength from this hand will be in making a holding such as two-pair + nut-low or a wheel wrap.

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to go hours sometimes and play less than 10 hands. Just how much do you lower the bar as far as starting hand requirements? Obviously the implied odds in PL mean you can loosen up some, but knowing how much is still tough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wheither it's limit Hold'em, limit O8, or PLO8 I'm usually the tightest player at the table. My My VP$IP for PLO8 is about 20%. That's loose for me, probably tight by most other's standards