View Single Post
Old 04-11-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Top pair no kicker out of position - loose game question

Surprisingly didn't play too awfully last night outside of some egregious bluffs from which I have temporarily learned my lesson. I did lose about 20 BB in 2 hrs of play but that was two flush draws not getting there and pocket Ace magnets overplayed after an A flopped. I know, I know...

Here's a hand that I want to discuss because the way I played it was influenced by my re-reading of the "Playing in Loose Games" section of HPFAP21 immediately before sitting down to play.

I'm in the SB with 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . Three callers to me I complete knowing the BB will rap.

Based on my reading of HPFAP21 I think the call is OK, but am I correct? Do you call knowing it's loose passive and the BB will not raise?

Flop comes T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] , 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] , 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

I check and it's checked around.

I was hoping to check-raise a late player to get rid of some players in the middle.

Turn is the A [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

I check, late position bets, fold, I raise, fold, fold, LP calls, head's-up.

I know he has an Ace. The moron in me convinces the player in me that he's on a backdoor spade draw and that my pair is good.

The river comes the 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

I bet out and LP calls.

In retrospect, it's odd that I've posted two complete hands so far and both have been T8 in the SB. Remember this hand was tempered by "Playing in Loose Games" from HPFAP21. Everyone should agree that regardless of the decision to call, the major error was continuing after the A turned.

My question is, given the advice of HPFAP21, do you call with this hand pre-flop, and then given the flop what do you do with it? Is this one that you just accept that you hit the flop but can't proceed? How many bet out on the flop? Does a check-raise on the flop make sense?

Rockfish