View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Flop nut straight...played right?

[ QUOTE ]
i like the idea of trying to get max value for this hand.. but you made a few key errors i'd like to explain.

the flop is somewhat of a kind of situation that if you raise here you can probably eliminate one opponent and the one who initially bet out will call anyways.. and now the field is thinned and your chances of winning at showdown are higher even though right now you have the best hand.

with flops like this its very likely he limped with a small pair and you dont want multiple opponents with many different combinations of hands when you are sure you can nail the guy who overplays his set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think the BB had a set, because if so it's likely he would either bet more on the flop or go for a c/r, in order to get more money in quickly. And I ruled out a set from LP as well, because he didn't raise the flop either.

I think a my call on the flop can be defended because so many people like to raise their pair + draw type hands in an effort to end the hand there. Thus I called hoping someone would make a play at the pot with a hand like 56 (or even a set...when I called I didn't know that LP wouldn't raise) so that I could then wake up with a big reraise.

As it is, with a bet small, call, call situation, I didnt think a set was too likely. I put both of them on one-card draws.

[ QUOTE ]

with that miniraise on the end.. what do you put him on when you call? or did you get too excited about your made hand and forget about whats in front of you.. because that is a costly error.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I probably should have pushed...the only argument against that is that if he does happen to have a flush (like 6s 7s or something) then I get screwed. Overall however I think he has a 6 more often, for the one-off-the-nut straight, and he'll definitely call a push with that.

Good post!

The Doc