View Single Post
Old 12-16-2002, 02:18 AM

Default Preflop play in Omaha8 - Ray Zee vs. Steve Badger

I'm new to Omaha, and am still trying to get a feel for some of the general concepts. I've read "High Low Split Poker for Advanced Players" (HLSP) and just started looking through Steve Badger's website.

It looks like Zee and Badger have a serious disagreement on starting hands.

In HLSP on page 191, Zee says that a lot of preflop raising will increase your fluctuations greatly while only increasing your profits marginally. He says this is because most hands aren't very dissimilar in value before the flop. He says later on that most hands aren't more than a 3-2 favorite over other hands heads up.

In the introductory Omaha section of his website (http://www.playwinningpoker.com/omaha1.html) Badger says before the flop is where you get tremendous advantages in Omaha. He says there are a large group of hands that will win at double the rate of randomish hands, and that Hold'em hands run much closer in value than Omaha hands preflop.

Without knowing much about the game, I'd assume Badger must be wrong since he's disagreeing with Zee. Am I misunderstanding something here? Are the two not disagreeing with each other as much as I think they are?

Thanks for the help.