View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Why are my bluffs so obvious?

Hi Crispy,

There may be a number of things in play here, all of which are related to your "very, very tight-aggressive" style. I went through an ultra-tight phase, and was running into the same problems you seem to be encountering. Once I got into a pot, then dammit, I wanted to win it, and a BIG pot, too!

So I found I was consistently: (a) slow-playing if I'd hit a big hand; and, (b) betting big if I hadn't, trying to buy the pot. Well, it didn't take my opponents long to figure that strategy out. If Cris bets little, fold. If she bets big, call.

So you might try mixing up your play a bit more. Bet out strong when you've flopped the nuts, not every time, but a often enough that your big bets are less often bluffs. And mix in a few sneaky-small bluffs, bets that look as if you have hit a hand and want a call.

Also, mix in bluffs on later streets: check/call at the flop and make your bet at the turn or river. People are more likely to call with drawing hands or overcards at the flop, because they still have two cards coming. At the turn and river, those hands start to shrink up.

Finally, don't throw good money after bad. If you bluff and get called, don't put any more money in the pot unless your hand improves. If you bluff and get reraised, fold. By far and away, the most common bluffing mistake I see is continuing to bluff after a call.

Hope this helps,

Cris