View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Washington State bans smoking... with a twist

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I talked to my wife about it and commented that it would basically make downtown Seattle a No Smoking Zone. As a former smoker I can understand your frustration, but as a non-smoker I have way more empathy for those who choose not to smoke and are exposed to it anyway. I don't dislike smokers, I dislike smoke.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a never-smoker, probably-never-will-smoker, and someone who doesn't care for cigarettes, I think this is completely ridiculous. A sensible restaurant will have a non-smoking section if they don't want to alienate customers, and that's perfectly fine. Anyone bothered by someone passing by them on the streets with a cigarette needs to grow up. It's just one more freedom to take away from us.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm semi-torn on the issue. I don't think the gov't should have the right to tell private businesses whether they can allow smoking in their establishment. But then there's in public. Now, the non-smoker is being forced to inhale the smoke, which has been proven to be dangerous. On the other hand, there could be people who want to ban cars because the exhaust annoys them. Where's the line? I don't know.