View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Help Me Fix This Big Leak (Some Rambling)

I don't fold. I can't fold. I hate folding.

This isn't an issue w/ being too lose preflop. Compared to players like strassa, MLG, and gavin, I'm incredibly tight preflop. I honestly don't consider myself to be a great postflop player. I can get by just fine, but I'm far from excellent, or even great, at playing flops. At least I recognize this and play fewer hands than I'd like to.

I'm working on the above problem. In the early stages of MTTs, I feel like I definitely need to open up more, especially in LP. Hopefully by doing so, my postflop game will improve. So often I find myself in situations where at each break I'm thinking "damn, i need more chips still....." Very rarely do I find myself chip leader before the 2nd break at any point.

I've found that I don't place very well in rebuy tournaments. Again, I attribute this to mediocre postflop play since there are deeper stacks for hours 2 and 3. I've started to play better, getting a 4th in the $10r recently and 5th in the $50r last night.

The root of my problems, though, is that I don't fold. I don't want to. So often I'll find myself in a situation where I tell myself "well...he could have played X and Y this way, and I can beat those..." It might be because I play relatively few hands preflop, so I expect to win those everytime I play a flop. I read a post from bugstud that said he had the same problem. I feel the need to win any pot that I get involved in. And thats a big problem.

I'm going to the WSOP ME. I'm hoping I can work out some of these issues before then. Obviously postflop play is going to be a big factor w/ the chips/structure.

I'm not sure what I expect out of any responses, maybe just some general advice? Has anyone else had this problem and found a way to help correct it?

If you made it this far, thanks for taking the time to reading my probably incoherent ramblings.