View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Tipping in higher limit games

[ QUOTE ]
Say you are a pro player and play 40-80 for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week (50 hours). Assume 40 hands an hour and that you win 4 of them. With a $1 tip regardless of pot size, you will spend 200 a week on tips (800 a month, 9600 a year). Double that amount and you will see that this can have a significant impact on a serious player's year-end earn. I want to see dealers compensated fairly (and I think 30 or 40 grand a year is very fair for them), but I also have to look out for number one here. If a dealer is spectacular, I may tip more and if a dealer is terrible or bad for the game, I may not tip at all. But I respect all dealers who do their job well and in a professional manner.

As for tournaments, I don't play them so I wouldn't know.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. Consider how much even more it will effect the low limit 3-6 to 9/18 player who plays part time on the side for extra cash. If you start tipping over $1/pot, you are going to start cutting 1/3 or more into your already meager hourly rate. It seems now at commerce the avg tip IS $2/pot at 3/6 and 4/8, but mostly from losing players who will never have a positive hourly rate anyway. No offense to dealers, I think they have a very work-intensive job, but I don't think they deserve $60/hour, considering the winning 3/6$ player MAY make $10/hour, after doing much more studying/analysis than 2 weeks at dealer school.