Thread: $109s - AK Hand
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: $109s - AK Hand

The reason why you check the turn is to induce a bluff on the river. When he doesn't bite, you don't necessarily have to change your whole plan and start figuring out how much value you can get. If you wanted value, the time was on one of the earlier streets.

You've decided to let him maintain the betting impetus and hang himself to whatever degree he wishes. I think that's a great idea considering the situation you've built for yourself here very early in this SNG.

You have plenty of chips and you are about to get 400 more. Really, the decision on the river (based on your play up until this point) is whether or not you want to show this hand down. I will often make river bets simply to avoid showing my hand, but you have explained a scenario where you may want to show a big hand that you've played passively. If your image is already one of a terrorist, it wouldn't hurt to show an AK here that you played passively throughout.

I'm not saying that image should dictate play to any significant extent in a SNG... but this is a relatively rare dynamic you have set up. Sitting on 2400 chips in level 1 of a 109 with a confusing, aggressive but tricky image is probably worth about $30-$40 in real money... maybe even more.

I would (gasp) check behind on the river.

Irieguy