View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 03:28 AM

Default Re: What to do with my life (need advice bad)?

[ QUOTE ]
Says who? Once again people seem to have this notion that theres a certain way everyone should be living their lives... just because you find value in doing a plethora of other activities, does that mean theres something wrong for him if he finds his enjoyment from poker? I'll tell you right now, if me sitting in my room staring at the walls made me extremely happy i'd do it every day and die happier than 99% of other people who lived their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have any notion that people should live their lives in any particular way.
I do have a notion on some ways that one should probably not be living their lives I guess.
Sitting in one's room and NEVER going out is just plain unhealthy.
That's pretty much all I was trying to say.

It's a fine-line between really 'enjoying' something and being flat-out addicted to it I guess.
And those who simply are unable to break-away sometimes get VERY lost and have specifically recommended to people to NOT play online-poker for a living because they are so miserable...mostly because they feel the online-poker has dominated their lives so much.

It is my assertion that these people could have avoided situations of being semi-miserable in their lives if they were a bit more well-rounded.

To my mind, this includes exercising at least a little bit (walking....actually going outside every once in awhile) and having friends.
I believe there are some online-poker players who are so addicted to it that they have few, if any, friends nor do they do freaking ANYTHING.

I think it's obvious that a situation like this is to be avoided.

I'm not saying to go drinking all the time and bang a million girls.
I'm just saying to be careful not to let online-poker be the only aspect of your life that is worthwhile.

When I read something like 'think about poker all day, every day' then I grow a little concerned that this person may fall at least a little bit into that category.
Lehigh's reply about this seemed like he had his on straight though.

I fully agree with your first part that if you enjoy doing something you should probably do it (within reason I suppose....if you enjoy killing people, for example, then please consider other options).