View Single Post
Old 10-20-2005, 05:01 AM

Default unimportant ethics/rules question

Scene: 2/4 at Gold Coast, a table mostly of drunk regulars plus a eurotrash jerk who kept hiding his cards, not making verbal declarations, and berated dealers for not figuring out what he was doing.

I'm in seat 4 with the button ambiguously placed somewhere in the vicinity of seats 1/2. I played about 3 hands in two hours up to that point. Cards are dealt and I'm spacing out as usual. I look down to see I have two cards as the dealer finishes dealing, so I see what I have. Q-something... red... suited... whatever. I then look in front of my cards, see the dealer button to my right and the SB/BB nominally in front of me and take my usual casual look down the table to see what's going on over there.

Here's where the confusion starts. By spacing out, I must have faked out everyone at the table, including the dealer, into thinking I was on the BB because I'm usually sharper on the action than most people at this particular table, and if I'm looking down the table for people to act, apparantly they assume I'm right. The action starts to my left, goes around, the BB checks his option (this is when I noticed the whole situation), and we see a flop without me ever putting anything in the pot. It goes check check to me, I check, there's a bet behind and some folds. I pick up my cards donkeystyle such that the players to my sides can see my craptacular Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] that had missed the flop by a long ways, then muck.

Here's the question. Should I have said something as soon as the BB checked and I realized something odd had happened, or do people think it's fine to just let it go "no harm, no foul" since I'm folding 95% on the flop without a thought? I really just wanted to be less of a pain in the butt for the dealer since we'd just had the floor over for one of eurodude's card-hiding escapades. Even if the flop comes A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I'm probably check-folding the flop in turn anyway.