View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Stud high/low starting hands

Personally I don't play big pair except aces, certainly not in 2/4 games with an 0.25 ante - it's just isn't worth it. In those low ante low limit games which usually see 4-5 players each pot, it's better to wait for steel. If I'm in a late position and no callers (except maybe a 8-J) I might play Kings or Queens for a raise. Then you can usually take the pot on 4th if the hang arounds catch high (or bad, the T catches a 3 or something).
Zee's book and the chapter in Super System 2 are both great, but I think you should be even more tight because the theory includes high ante play. Stick to AAx (preferably with an 8 or below) and low cards with high potential like As 2s 8s ; 5s 6d 7c ; 2h 3h 5c. I usually play 3-flushes with one high if only one of my flush is out. A hand like 732 should only be played multiway when the others show 8 or higher. I think most money is lost with high pairs against several low hands and low 3 cards with no redraws for high like 863 rainbow when there are better lows out. GL!