View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Sample 20/40 hand.

5-handed or 6-handed. I raise UTG with QJ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Folded around (thank god) to the BB, who calls.

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He checks, I bet, he calls.

Turn is the K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. He checks, I figure he must have an ISD, a heart draw, or a 2 or a 3, probably an ISD, so I'm hoping he'll fold here. For me to check the turn and then fold the river UI after showing huge weakness just seems . . . weak, and if he has just a 2 or a 3, the K is a scare card -- be unlikely that I don't have a pair at this point given my UTG raise. Besides, I've got outs. (I fold to a turn checkraise, though. Obviously, he very well might have an ace and is just slowplaying it.)

Bastard calls. Nice chip spew, Grisgra.

River is the semi-beautiful T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], giving me the nut straight but putting the third heart on the board. He checks, I decide I have to bet even though he very well could have been on a flush draw. Still, I hope that he'd bet out here instead of going for the sexy.

So I bet, he checkraises, I grimace and call. I'd probably fold any non-paired ace here, by the way, but I've got a freakin' straight.

He shows T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and MHIG. Moron called the turn with no draw and a pair of deuces. And the best hand, of course.

You'd think that in a game like this all you have to do is never bluff, just value-bet, and you'll be fine. While there's some merit to this, it's not as easy as it sounds.

EDIT -- I expect that some people are going to say I should have checked the turn, and folded the river UI. They may be right -- but you don't understand just how many people call the flop with AnyTwo in this game. They don't do it all the time, of course. Not often enough to automatically ensure you a profit. Just often enough to piss you off. Because they only do it to ME when I don't actually have a hand . . .