View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: OT: A football puzzle

Here are some obscure football rules that not many people know about. (These used to be solid at H.S., College, (only 2 and 3 in the NFL), but I don't care about football as much as I used to, so I don't know anymore.)

1) The other team has just scored a touchdown on you and as they attempt the extra point, they fumble. You pick up the ball and return it to their one-yard-line and step out of bounds. You can elect to take the ball, 1st and 10, at the result of the play (the one yard line) rather than having the other team kick off to you. If you do cross the goal line you are awarded two points and they still kick off.

2) On the final play of any quarter, if the other team punts to you and you call for a fair catch you are allowed a free kick (ball placed on a tee, no snap, no rush) at a 3 point FG.

3) Rather than going through the whole snapper, holder, kicker thing for a FG or PAT, the ball can be direct snapped to the kicker who can bounce the ball off the ground and attempt to kick it through. (Drop kick - this is insanely difficult)

EDIT: I'll save BlueTooth some pain . . . I posted a trip report that is getting some positive review over in OOT (where it belongs).