View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Beaten like a Red Headed Step Child

Bob Ciaffone sets out 'the rule of five and ten' in his book on Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker. with a small pair in good position against a known big hand, you have a clear call if the raise is less than five percent of your stack, and a clear fold if it's more than ten percent. although this isn't without exceptions (for example, if everyone calls the raise the guy would have to be mad not to call with 66), i think it sets a good general rule. the implied odds aren't really with him, but remember that people don't play online to fold all the time.

as for your play, i agree that you should go all in on the flop unless you know the opponent to be very tight. i personally hate having to make decisions on the flop out of position with a relatively small pot, so in the blinds i tend to make a much bigger raise with aces, usually at least 1/3 of my stack, so i know no hand is getting the odds to chase me. at least i feel a lot better when the guy turns over his set and i can rightfully call him an idiot.