View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Explain this about the random number generators

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No, 'updated' refers to them adding more entropy to the original seed generated by the Sun SeedGenerator. It does not mean a new seed is used for each card dealing round unfortunately. Please re-read the passage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, let's analyze the English. The passage is largely a discussion of the seeding method used and how entropy is inserted. Then after describing how the seed is constantly updated, they say:

[/ QUOTE ]

But nowhere in the text does it talk about about constantly updating seeds. It talks about how one single seed is generated. First SeedGenerator is called, and how SG creates a seed is briefly explained. Then that seed is updated with extra entropy, the details of which is detailed in the later part of the text.

'This updated seed', which is singular, is used for each of the dealing rounds. So one seed is used for each complete deal.

Maybe it comes from me a priori knowing how SG works, but to me it certainly sounds like one seed is generated for the entire deal.

It does describe updating the SG generated seed once with more entropy prior to using it for even the first two carsd. But nowhere does it mention the SeedGenerator being called again for the flop, then having that seed updated with extra entropy before dealing the flop. In fact it only refers to one single seed for the entire hand.

So, to make a flow chart.

1) SeedGenerator creates a seed, it does this from counting the number of times the Virtual Machine looped a no operation thread during a certain time interval.

2) This seed is updated with extra entroyp from other sources.

3) Two cards are dealt to each player using the seed from 2.

4) If necessary the flop, turn and river are dealt, using the seed from 2. 'This updated seed'..

Steps 1 & 2 are not repeated for flop, turn and river.

I wish they were, and Party should certainly change it so that they were. The current system is moronic, the extra cost of generating new seeds for each round is so low compared to the potential cost of having the saved seed compromised between preflop and flop say.

I want Party to do it the way you describe it. But they don't.