View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 11:48 PM

Default Re: What to do with my life (need advice bad)?

When I was in high school my dad once told me to pick a direction that I enjoyed for my career rather than one that either my family (my mom was pushing for a medical career) or society or money would want you to do. I chose to go into engineering.

Every day for the first many or so years of my career I used to be surprised that people paid me to do what I enjoyed doing. Building solutions and products that others would use. When I went off on my own was the first time I really felt some level of stress and/or involvement with the money factor. However, it was all very satisfying and good.

Then I was burnt out, sold out, played poker for about four years and saw my health start to slide (too much sitting, bad food etc). I then decided to travel and ended up working (at the moment) as a PADI instructor. I still play online (which I dont care for much) occaisonally but am physically and mentally fitter and happier that for the last 10 years or so.

We have it beaten into our heads that we must have good jobs and good careers and marriages and homes and cars. Ultimately, you only have the moment.

Playing Poker for career is not for me, anymore. Not because I dont make money at it (I do), not because I dont like playing (I do) but because I cannot be satisfied by an activity designed to just make money. There must be more to what I do then taking money from strangers. Teaching Scuba is satisfying as it makes others happy, gives them something new to look forward to in their lives. Working as an engineer was satisfying as frequently it made the work of others better and easier.

When I return to the States I would look for a teaching job (probably in a comm college somewhere) continue to teach diving as long as I can, and continue to play cards (on the side).

As an aside, I am surprised by how many people on this board are obsessed by poker -- as it it is all consuming in their minds. I suggest, that a close examiniation of this from a psychological perspective is important. Playing cards (and specially online computer cards) is, to me, for some a form of escapism (I guess for someone living in Vietnam spending days on a boat and underwater that statement is ironic). Life should be balanced.

Hope this helps.