View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Answering the Gamblers Anon 20 questions

I answered yes to seven. Some of my answers were the same as OP's, and reasonings the same.....playing longer than expected, having trouble sleeping after a long session, etc. Some of the the questions, the way they are worded, like" have you ever", if you are being honest with yourself, you'll get a yes for. For instance, have you ever chased losses, etc. Yeah, I chased loses on 2 occasions, like a year and a half ago(when I first started playing), and both times, it made situations worse. Lesson learned. Won't happen again. Very similar to the AA questionaire, "Have you EVER blacked out from drinking".....yeah, I blacked out on more than one occasion, like 13 years ago when I was in college. Haven't blacked out since, and frankly, rarely drink. But according to the black and white questionaires, answering yes to that question just moved me 1 step closer to being an alchoholic.
Poker is gambling, but it's definitely a different animal than most other forms of gambling, b/c the the greater degree of skill involved, and the absence of a house edge stacked against you. Unfortunately, I don't think folks outside the poker world realize this, and thus don't look at it the same way we do. And I doubt Gamblers anonymous makes any distinction between poker and craps, or blackjack. If someone has a problem with gambling, or poker, I think they know it deep down, without even having to answer the silly questionaire.