View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 03:38 AM

Default Huh ?

Have I been stumbling through life applying an incorrect definition to a showdown ?

If I bet, you call and I lose that is certainly a loss at the showdown.

What if I bet, you call and I win - is this a showdown win for me ? (Your cards were not rolled unless you chose to roll them and this could be considered not to be a showdown).

How about if there are 3 (or at the lower limits, 5 or 6 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) players active after the turn but all check the river ? I checked a missed draw and passed on the option to bluff out multiple players but had no actual interest in the pot; I may not have even been able to beat the board but my cards still get rolled if I'm anything other than last to act.

- If this last hand is a showdown then all missed draws are showdowns unless I [sucessfully] bluff.

If all of the above are showdowns a 65% win rate is insanely high at low-limit ring games.

I'm not sure what a good number might be but anything above 50% in these games would at the very least be worth looking into.

It might be worth noting that even if 65% is outrageously high the OP might not be losing out on any earn; if he's missing barely profitable bluffs or value bets he's costing himself very little.

More importantly, be especially careful to NOT aim for some arbitrary %age even if we can agree on what an optimal percentage may be in order to avoid scenarios such as the following . . .

"My win rate with A-A is below 25%. This is way too low; most agree that 33-50 percent is optimal depending on the game. Therefore I will NEVER muck them prior to the showdown which will, of course maximize my chances of winning with them. I'll get my %age up to 33% if it costs me my last dime".

"Obscenity ? I can't define it but I know it when I see it".