View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: genius or insanity? maybe a stupid river move. 2/4 8/B

[ QUOTE ]
On ther river, most players at 2/4 will call two bets cold with kings up unless an opponent has a 4 flush or 4 str8 showing. So if you had not made two pair on the river, this would have been a brilliant play, as you might have stolen half the pot with a pair of sevens, getting a pair of kings to fold, and you could easily muck if the king called. I would favor check calling here with the two pair, since I think a pair of kings will definitely call one bet but prob. not two and kings up will probably call two, thus you usually save a bet or gain 1/2 a bet with two small pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the line that i had originally decided on. i almost did check/call it, but, i thought my bet would represent enough strength to get that W/T player to fold when the mainiac raised (i was about 90% sure that he would)- I find that when a player with three to a low straight showing C/Cs until they bet out on the river, it almost always means a made straight, trips, etc... i hoped that the K would think so too... maybe he just folded kings... i'm not sure exactly why, but my feel for this player made me pretty damn sure that he had at least two pair on sixth... in fact, he was tight enough that he may not even have called on fifth without Ks up or better.

so, i either A: lost half a bet by forcing out KK that would have called, B: won half the pot that i didn't deserve, or C: got lucky.

it felt good when it worked, though. ty.