View Single Post
Old 11-29-2005, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Death Penalty Article

[ QUOTE ]
"Seriously, this sort of garbage falls from the same tree as Hollywood 's incredible narcissism,"

Except actors can't beat the people they are trying to influence on generalized thinking tests.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the article is very poorly written. If you plan to discuss the death penalty, you need to consider all the issues. Your discussion of execution of an innocent perosn wasn't even very well thought out. After 20 years of being in prison and being through appeals, surely you would agree that there is only a sliver of hope for death row prisoners to be released in their lifetimes. Personally, I don't think this issue is one of the more important issues, even though I think that if it happened, executing an innocent person would be morally repugnant. Our court system is going to make errors and there is not any way to control that. Saying that it would mitigate the damage to release a convict after 20 years of a wrongful conviction is probably a half-truth.

I would think that in your wisdom, you would realize that complex moral issues like capital punishment do not have rights or wrongs. That is why people take opposing sides. People value different concepts more than others, and that leads to the difference of opinions.

Really, I think that you should stay away from philosophy. Many famous mathematicians have dabbled in philosophy, and they have all failed miserably. Do you think that you as a poker player are going to have better skill?

I'd like to see more celebrity poker players have control of their egos.