View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Marauding pit bulls attack six

[ QUOTE ]
What are other fighting dogs?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a large Japanese breed called a Tosa (?), Dogo Agentino, and the Presa Canarius are three of the more obscure breeds of fighting dog that still have a lot of gameness and dog agresiveness in their bloodlines along with the Pit Bull. The bulldog was bred solely for the sport of bull baiting. Bull baiting consisted of tying a bull to a stake and setting 3-5 dogs loose on him and watching the mayhem. Over the years the bulldog has lost much of its aggresiveness as it has been bred solely as a pet. Pit Bulls are still fought and even if a minority of them are fought many of them have ancestors that did fight a few generations back. "Few" being relative to most other dogs breeds. Some are also used as protection dogs and others in pulling contests and this motivates breeders to select parents with drive and some degree of assertiveness along with temperment.

Still, I think they are fantastic dogs and some of the sweetest dogs I have ever met have been Pit Bulls or Pit Bull crosses. Obviously they need a lot of supervision and attention. Most of the agression I have seen from the breed has been directed towards other dogs and not to humans.

regards,

raisins