View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Why should I finish my college degree? (I really want you to tell

[ QUOTE ]
...the biggest reason I can see for myself is because I'm on full academic scholarship so I'm not paying any tuition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a huge +EV situation to me...one I don't think you can ignore.

Take it from someone who entered college with his whole life planned. Ph.D., professorship, Nobel Prize, the works. But something happened on the way to all that...I got burned out. I finished my degree, but mainly because I was already so far ahead (I graduated in 3 years--which explains much of the burnout). My degree is in chemistry but I work as a computer programmer. Hell, I don't even remember half of the elements in the periodic table. But I _do_ have my degree and no one can take that away.

My point here is that you can plan for things, such as a poker career, only to change your mind later on. Or you might get burned out. Playing hours and hours a week, month after month, it happens. Have a backup plan. If you're sick of computer science, find something else that interests you. Learn another language (or two). If you're studying abroad, I'm guessing that's not a problem. But whatever you do, don't become one dimensional. Life is too short for that.