View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 09:05 PM

Default Why should I finish my college degree? (I really want you to tell me)

Hi, I'm an 18 year old second year college student majoring in computer science. I have been playing poker online since I entered college, and I make enough to live comfortably off of. I have lost a great deal of motivation for finishing my degree. In fact right now I am mainly motivated for college because of study abroad opportunities.

I want you to convince me to stay in college and finish up my degree. Whether the reasons be financial, pyschological, spiritual, I don't care. Just tell me why you honestly think I would be better off finishing my degree than dropping out and beginning my fulltime poker career.

Please assume that I make enough playing poker to live comfortably off of (at the moment obviously the game could change in the future). I'm not going to get into dollar amounts as that isn't relevant to the conversation in my eyes.

Also, if you could suggest some ways of motivating myself to do the work necessary to finish my degree I would really really appreciate it.

To start things off, the biggest reason I can see for myself is because I'm on full academic scholarship so I'm not paying any tuition. I go to a decent small private university in Macon, Georgia. I like computer science a little but prefer pursuing a career in poker for various reasons (financial reasons, more freedom, more personal responsibility, POKER IS A MERITOCRACY--THE BUSINESS/CS WORLD IS NOT [my main reason]).

Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate any responses you guys can give me.

TstoneMBD you said:
[ QUOTE ]
college is a waste of time for people that already know what they want and are capable of making a good living.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please elaborate on this statement if you can. Thanks.