View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 09:35 PM

Default Re: PLO8 starting hands and VPIP

[ QUOTE ]
Okay so I'm still pretty new at PLO8, but there are a few thoughts I'd like confirmed by those of you who know what you're doing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] PL as opposed to limit has a fairly significant effect on the hands that you can play. Low hands with no suited A's aren't worth much at all since the high hands make the money at this game, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. With a made low, you have an opportunity to quarter other lows, or put pressure on weak/medium-strength high hands to fold. You can often pick up an entire pot by being aggressive with a naked low (although it can be dangerous b/c you may get 1/4ed if you're not careful).

[ QUOTE ]
So even A234 rainbow is nowhere near as good a hand as it is in limit, since your only chance at high is a small straight or a possible lucky full house.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Second, high pocket pairs are worth more because sets make a lot of money in PL. But do you just play any high pair/2 danglers in late position with a lot of callers? Do the implied odds make that the correct play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, you're pretty much way off base... you'll see with experience that sets aren't any stronger in PL than in limit. I'd suggest just going back and reading posts here on PLO8. Search in particular for reading on PLO8, it's all internet based, you'll find an occasional post about it using the search in this forum.

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to go hours sometimes and play less than 10 hands. Just how much do you lower the bar as far as starting hand requirements? Obviously the implied odds in PL mean you can loosen up some, but knowing how much is still tough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure it's been said in other replies: you're playing too tight. Try to see around 25% of flops to start, then work your way up from there to 30-35% or so.