View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Beating bad players

Sometimes players are so bad, you can't beat them. I make this statement only after experiencing it first hand. I am not talking about fish on the net. They are good by comparison. My experience is from live local games (local bars). It is not just 1 bad player out of 10, it is normally 3 or 4 bad ones.

I agree you want them in your game. I don't mind them at all. I never make remarks questioning their play (don't tap on the aquarium). It is the way they win that leaves you scratching your head. A couple examples. A local place plays 2/4 hold'em with two seperate $10 power bets allowed (try to protect your hand).

Example 1:
UTG limper, MP limp, button raise to 4, I am BB with KK, I power bet to $14. Everyone calls. After the flop of 8 3 2 rainbow, I power bet $10 with UTG the only caller. I lost the hand to a full house by UTG's 83o. He called $14 preflop with 83o. A few hands later he folded on the button in an unraised pot. I figured it must have been a lot worse than 83.

Example 2
MP raise to 4, MP+1 calls, I am on button with AKs and power bet to $14, both call. Flop is 10 4 2 rainbow. Checked to me, I power bet $10, MP folds, MP+1 calls. Turn is a 5, checked to me, I bet $4 which is called. J on river, check, check. MP+1 called $14 preflop and $10 post flop with 95o. He won with a pair of 5s which he made on turn and never bet????

Final Example
same players but NL single table tournament.
blinds are T200/T400. During the deal, a J was turned over and discarded. UTG raised to T1,500. LP cold calls. Flop is 10 5 2. Checked around. turn is J, UTG goes all in (he held AQ and felt the J was a safe card because of the dealing mishap). LP calls with J3o and wins pot.

These are not your usual fish moves on the internet. These are moves fish don't even make. I tell local people that you haven't experienced poker until you sat in a game like that.

I don't consider these bad beat stories. Just bad player stories. Sometimes the players are sooooooo bad, that you can't beat them. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]