Thread: BB defense: 54s
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: BB defense: 54s

To the poster that was incredulous about defending the BB with 45s, yes you are "supposed" to defend with it. I can't imagine folding it except against the tightest of thieves in this position. You are getting good pot odds to call, and you're only in deep trouble against a pocket pair (who you can still suck out on).

As for checking the river, I think I prefer a bet. After the check-through on the turn it really looks like villain has an ace-high (or maybe king-high) hand he wants to show down as cheaply as possible. The turn check through is setting him up to call the river bet since he must expect you to take a stab with anything and he is ready to call your bluff. The thing is you aren't bluffing: you have a pair so value bet it.

I like the way you played it, although I'll admit my line is to donkbet the turn. I strongly believe 45 is the best hand here, and villain is faced with calling unprofitably in a small pot or folding his overs with the nagging doubt of bluff in the back of his mind.