View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on dropping out of school...

[ QUOTE ]
One issue that comes up a lot in these forums is young kids who are making large sums of money losing motivation and wanting to drop out of school. Generally people give responses like, "don't drop out of school, it's a bad idea."

[/ QUOTE ]

It IS a bad idea. For most people.

[ QUOTE ]

It's very difficult to be motivated to go to school when you make significantly more playing poker than you could expect to in the next 2 decades of your professional career. This kind of $$$ would skew anyone's perspective, let alone a kid, because it all just happens so fast. It is hard to give you're best effort to school, and that trivializes the eduational experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say a strong majority of people will make a whole lot more working at a job than they ever will make playing poker. This is similar to new college grads that enter the workplace and all of a sudden have more money than they know what to do with. Any college student with an inkling of an idea of their future will know that any money made playing poker (there are exceptions) is chump change compared to a professional career.

[ QUOTE ]

Let me state unequivically that giving universal advice on this matter is ridiculous, each situation is different. If you are someone who forks over 35-40k a year for an education, doesn't attend class, and is in danger of failing out of school, then attending doesn't make much sense. If you literally cannot bring yourself to get to class, by all means drop out. You will save either you or your parents some serious $$$, and you will have time to make more money through poker as well as just relax because you have less responsibilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you devote your college career to being a failure, not much is going to help you from being a failure outside of college. Are you going to live with your parents for the rest of your life playing online poker and assuming no responsibilities of an adult? Not my kind of life.

[ QUOTE ]
I feel this was an important thing to write about because it is prevalent nowadays.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're very right. Kids all over the country get delusions of grandeur, seeing all the young college guys on TV, and they think they have what it takes to drop out and play poker for a living. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it and everyone would win. But wait, how can that be, aren't most players losers in the long run? After they realize they aren't as good as they think they are, what do they have left?

[ QUOTE ]
I also feel i can relate well to some of these people because i am in the same boat. Dropping out of school would make me a lot of $$$.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make money from dropping out of school? If your parents pay for your education, are they just going to hand it over to you, as if it was yours to decide what to do with next? If you are working and paying for school, what's next? You wouldn't have the actual money, I'm guessing.

In regard to your thoughts on college experience, I would agree, they are priceless. People can still attend college and play poker but still miss out on the college experience. I was a victim of it for a semester myself, where I'd stay in my room playing poker all day and all night, taking breaks to eat and go to class. I hardly saw my friends or went out. I never made that same mistake again and just play sparingly now. I'm absolutely certain that lots of online players fall into this category, so it's not just the dropouts that miss the college experience, but those who play obsessively.