View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: ABC and Showtime interested in picking up Arrested Development

Madtown - If Fox Studios is deficiting at $400k, at a $1.6M production cost, then Fox Network is paying $1.2M / ep license fee to the studio. That's really expensive for say, an ABC, to pay for this series (relative to the current comedy market). Especially for a ratings loser. (ABC would not own any of the syndication or DVD rights, and would only be making network ad $, determined solely by ratings).

This means that, as you pointed out, Fox Studios may cut the production budget with a lower license fee to maintain a $400k deficit.

I think this would totally suck for a series that is strong in part due to high production / cast value. I would hope Fox Studios take the stance that either 1) they would be willing to deficit more to keep the show going, or 2) not continue at subpar production levels.

I sincerely hope it goes to Showtime. They would be willing to pay a higher license fee than a network and help maintain the shows quality. I would prefer the series to end then see a lame, watered down version of it.

-Al

Edit - sorry to bump but we're actually looking at this at work right now... so obviously it's on my mind...