View Single Post
Old 11-01-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Down by 2 touchdowns, go for 2 theory.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't buy it. Not when it is so clear cut. (I've read the "losing momentum or morale" argument but for professionals that can't make up for a significant decrease in mathematical win probability.) All a coach has to do is show the simple math to the owner, preferabley BEFORE it comes up, and he is out of hot water if it backfires.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but the problem is public opinion means just as much to the owner if not more than actual results. Let's say an owner gives his coach the go ahead to try for 2 points. If the team fails to convert, the public outcry would be for the coach to be held responsible. No one is going to say "Well, if the owner is OK with it, I am too.". If it occurred a 2nd or 3rd time, someone would be held responsible whether or not the owner gave the coach it's blessings. It's all PR and money.
Just look at what happened in the USC-ND game. Had USC failed to score at the end, all the networks and football fans would want Pete Carroll's head on a platter thinking USC would have won in OT against ND. Granted, it's not the NFL, but USC would have lost a lot of money if it had to "settle" for a lesser bowl game for failing to convert the riskier play.