View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: advice needed for a player moving from .50/1 to 1/2 and struggling

I'm a very similar situation.

I was at 3.5BB/100 over 30K hands at .25/.50 and .50/1, then moved to 1/2. I had been playing four tables and stayed with that at 1/2 and ran slightly negative for 30K hands, then started having catastrophic sessions for the next 20K hands, down 400BB at one point.

My final conclusion was that I was playing too many tables with some small leaks, and then hit a horrible downswing which was greatly magnified by the leaks. When you get rivered over and over, and can never hit a draw with overwhelming odds to call, it tends to mask your real leaks. All the focus goes on getting hammered when you're otherwise playing correctly.

I cut back to two tables and went back to basics. The losses have been stemmed, and there's a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm still bankrolled for 1/2, so I don't see any reason to move back down. I'm determined to stay at 1/2 until I beat it. So that would be my advice.

Playing two tables is boring after playing four, but seeing even small green numbers in PT instead of large red ones makes up for it.