View Single Post
Old 12-19-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

[ QUOTE ]
"We call it the gym rat theory. It insinuates that blacks are more naturally gifted athletes and the game comes easier to us, and because of that "theory" we don't practice as hard, we don't have to put in the same amount of hours, we don't have to do as much work.

And I'm not saying that you said that, I'm just telling you that black athletes have had to deal with that forever, since sports began. They said it about Joe Louis in relation to Rocky Marciano, they said it about Willie Mays in relation to Joe DiMaggio, they said it about Oscar Robertson in relation to Jerry West, Magic to Bird, they're saying it about Serena Williams in relation to Lindsay Davenport.

"Naturally gifted" to us Jeff … man, that's code for: We don't have to work as hard at the game as you all because of our inbred talent."

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember the late EPSN and SI writer Ralph Wiley making the same point on a few occasions. I understand the concern, and it should go without saying, that is takes incredible hard work and practice to be great at anything. Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Lebron James etc..worked very hard to be good at their sport. They didn't sit around eating donuts all day.

However, there are certain physical skills that you really cannot get better at through hard work. I could work at increasing my jumping ability 16 hours a day for 10 years, and I doubt I could even touch the rim. These natural atheltic skills are basically something you are born with. I seriously doubt Vince Carter and LeBron James were able to hit their head on the rim through hard work. They were born with that skill. When it comes to shooting, dribbling, passing etc...that is acquired through practice and hard work.