View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: I\'m ITM but my ROI is negative

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the record, this isn't inherently a negative. Is the structure exactly the same as it would be for some lower buy-in tourny with some larger amount of entrants? If so, just pretend it's that, and play accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you mean by "inherently negative", and your suggestion as to what we should pretend is not clear, but generally speaking, the flatter the payout structure, the less EV a better player can have in a particular tournament. Of course it doesn't mean that if they pay 20% or 30% or 40% or whatever it won't still be +EV for the better player who adjust accordingly, but there's no doubt that it will hurt the EV of the top players.

Imagine the structure getting more and more flat: it is very easy to see how any edge will disappear at some point, no matter how well you play. Of course, the "ideal" theoretic tournament for the site to offer is a tournament in which 100% of players get paid, i.e, everyone gets his money back minus rake. Of course this is completely ridiculous, but only notice that here there is no possible edge whatsoever to anybody, no fish, no sharks, and the site still collects its rake, and the rest of the money will keep circulating inside the site. It's only an extreme example, of course, but in general, any flattening of the structure is a move in this theoretical direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right, it is bad for good players. Very nice argument.