View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: WSOP Hachem JJ Hand

[ QUOTE ]
Only nitpicks would be -- 1) I think Barch was probably a significantly tougher competitor for Hachem than Danneman was -- meaning the value in eliminating him makes his equity significantly stronger in those scenarios, and 2) for most people, the utility value of money goes up more at lower amounts, meaning that the difference in value to Hachem between 5 million and 2.5 million is likely to be more than the value between 7.5 million and 5 million, to use a simplified example.

Also, its very possibly that he was able to narrow either Danneman's or Barch's range down further here based on tells or the way they were playing, and as such be able to make a better decision once the flop came.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good points.

The reason I made the thread was not really this exact situation per say, but more so because if I was faced with a similar situation, I wanted to know what to do. I tried not to factor in player ability in my analysis but your point is valid. Barch being a better player than Dannenmann makes a softplay more correct.

Also it's true that $EV does not equate with EU, which would make a softplay more appealing. One thing to keep in mind is that first prize also comes with the bracelet. Aggressive play would increase the chances of placing first and winning the bracelet, as well as placing third.