View Single Post
Old 12-18-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Anxiety for First B&M

You're probably going to get a lot of good advice here and some not so good. The only thing I'd like to offer is to let this be a learning experience. B&M has to be experienced first hand. IMO, it can't be explained - quickly or simply.

Relax and have fun. If you don't come across as a wise azz, know-it-all, most at the table(s) will probably be patient and helpful. As will the dealers. (don't forget to toke!)

Nobody wants to hear about your online experience/success(es). Nobody wants to be called a donk because they don't know/understand pot odds, EV, or whatever. Some do and some don't.

I've never been where you'll be playing so I don't know the average age. I'm guessing you'll be the youngest. No matter how much you know or how many hands you've played, there just may be a guy or two who knows a tad more about the game than you.

Don't worry about tells. Be aware of what you do and how you're playing. Notice the play of the others. If they change because of a play you've made, think back - you may have done something they caught.

Let them know it's your first time. They'll think you're dead money. You can use that in your favor. Your play can do all the talking needed. Wouldn't hurt to tell someone, "Nice hand," when it actually was. And saying, "I got lucky," whether you did or not, won't hurt, either.

Have fun and g/l.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]