View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Criminally incompetent behavior

I'd be interested to see what exactly the Attorney General said about the legality of the president's actions. And also exactly what he told to the congress. Senator Frist's remark, that he was told what would be proper for the Senate Majority Leader to be told, struck me as quite cryptic.

I wasn't able to find a transcript of what the Attorney General said in an interview he gave to one of the networks today, but I did hear Mark Sheilds, on Jim Lehrer's show say that he felt Gonzalez's argument was that if the president decides to do something, it's legal. (In fact, Shields wondered what the big deal was about the Patriot Act, since, according to Gonzalez, the president can do whatever he wants anyway.)

If Gonzalez's arugment is, as Bush says, that the congressional authrorization to use force in the wake of 9/11 and the Constitution granted him the power to go around the FISA court, I don't get it. I can't imagine that the congress thought that's what they were voting on and I wonder exactly what Article in the Constitution gives the president the right to decide what laws he will honor and which he won't.