View Single Post
Old 12-07-2005, 05:47 PM

Default Re: AK as an isolator, against an isolator

Lil -

Very nice response, thank you.

It's really interesting, on the turn, I think because if I bet he could really do any one of the four things:

Call hands he should call
Fold hands he should fold
Call hands he should fold
Fold hands he should call.

I guess my thinking was he'd do the first two a lot more than he'd do the second two. I may very well be wrong, and given the majority of responses, I guess I may. I think that my aforementioned thoughts along with the ensuing confusion that will arise if I get checkraised made me check. I don't like tough decisions, so I tried to avoid one, by checking.

As a bit of an aside....

I'm very un-results-oriented. Lots of times people will bet (in like a 3 way pot) here, and AQ will fold. Then, when the Q comes on the river, their AK beats the lone remaining opponent (say, 78 or some such draw). AQ moans that he layed down the winner, and the AK thinks he played the hand well.

But that's only results oriented thinking that makes the AK think he played the hand well. In reality, in a 10ish BB pot, you WANT people calling with their three outers. In fact, if they are going to fold their three outer (but will ever bluff or payoff on the river), you specifically DON'T WANT THEM TO FOLD. Getting them to fold is BAD PLAY, even though the results make it **LOOK** like a good play.

I don't think very many people look at it this way or understand it as such (and please note, this is an 'aside', and doesn't necessarily pertain here). It is possible to 'slowplay' an unimproved AK (no pair). It really is a monster in some spots.

Back to the hand at hand (I crack myself up!!). I think, the more I think about it, his flop checkraise is going to be a pair a very high percentage of the time. Maybe T9. Maybe 77. Maybe JJ. Given that he may checkraise any of these on the turn (if he reads my threebet as a "get outta my pot, straggler" bet), I still like checking the turn. But against a 17/8 player who very likely has a pair on the flop, I think I can give up on the river without paying off.

Again, this is largely because he may checkraise any pair on the turn. I guess it's the "check behind with position when you have outs on the turn" check.

Sorry that this is so rambling.

Blah blah blah,

Josh